Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Rash

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Rash

I have a rash beside my the nipple on one breast. It is very itchy, rough, & pelling with stabbing pain sometmes. It started out reddish and seems to be turning dark brown now. I've had it for about 2 months and have tried all kids of creams on it, but nothing has helped. I finally went to the doctor and he says it's nothing. I will be 39 this month and he says there's no way it can be cancer because I am too young. I've known people alot young than me with cancer, but he insitists that it is nothing. Should I be concerned about it? How can it be nothing? Also I had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago and was on estregin until until last Nov when the prescription ran out. He wouldn't give me a new prescription as he says it causes cancer. I am concerned and don't know what to do now. I don't have medical insurance so I am limited on going to the doctor. Any help would be very much appericated. Thank you Sheila
Dear Sheila, There can be a number of explanations for your symptoms.  It could be a skin irritation, and the creams themselves may be part of the problem by aggravating the irritation rather than healing. On the other extreme, there is a type of cancer that begins in the area of the nipple and is associated with bleeding, redness, itching and burning (Paget's disease).  It is a very rare type of cancer.  Perhaps seeking advise from a dermatologist (skin doctor) may help to pinpoint the problem, and advise as to appropriate treatments.
The doctor said it looks like paget's diease, but not to worry because I am too young to get that.
Please get it checked. Your doctor thinks you are too young for cancer but just to be on the safe side, please get a second opinion. Wouldn't you rather ber safe 100 times than sorry once?