Breast Cancer Community
Breast Reduction Large Hard Lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Reduction Large Hard Lump

I had a breast reduction in July of 2009.  After much of the healing process I realized I have a large part of the right breast that is a very hard lump.  I can actually grip this entire area, it starts to the right side of the nipple.  I had an ultra-sound and it came back as a large cyst and that I should repeat an ultra-sound in 4-6 months to see if it has grown.  My surgeon doesn't believe that it's anything to worry about.  My primary doctor said it felt like it could be cancerous and I should have a mammogram.  Truthfully, at this point, I am fearful of a mammogram.  It was very painful when I was large, but now, between the thick scarring underneath and this large lump, I can't imagine how much it would hurt now.  Also, I'm thinking that the steel plates pressing so hard could actually break open whatever this lump it...  I did hear the term probable fat necrosis spoken by my surgeon-- do you feel an MRI would be helpful?  What about a biopsy?  Do I even need to worry?  And is this something that I will have to live with for the rest of my life?  If the surgeon actually removed this, my right breast would be smaller.  Thank you for your prompt response.
You could request an ultrasound they usually happen after a mammogram and ultrasounds can tell if it's a cyst or worse much easier.  The can also do a core biopsy right away if needed.You shouldn't put this off. I know it's scary but you don't want Breast cancer. fI have breast cancer and by the time I was diagnosed it was stage 3.  So please don't wait and don't take no from any doctor. Please have it checked.  Good luck
I'm going thru the same thing I had my reduction in October 2009.  I have a very large lump and a family history of breast cancer.  I have also heard fat  necrosis, but I recently lost my job and no longer have the insurance to cover getting a mammogram.  I have had a ultra sound and got that its a mass with a rather large cyst inside.  Good luck