My radiologist found abnormality through mammogram. He recommended a surgical biopsy as it is located in the very surface and a needle biopsy does not work (I also have small breasts). I got 2nd opinion and received the same recommendation. By reading advantage and disadvantage of surgical biopsy, I am right now questioning if this would be the right decision. I am 40, an Asian, physically fit, no records of cancer evidence within close family - very low risk profile. It is late, but I am also trying to have a baby. Considering risks of breast deformation, affect to breast feeding capability, etc. I am not 100% sure that the surgical breast biopsy is the way to go...
First let me say that the only other option would be to not have a biopsy at all and this would be very foolish indeed. An abnormal finding in the breast that raises suspicion MUST be biopsied to determine it's cause. A surgical biopsy is a very simple procedure that will remove a small sample of the suspicious area thru a small incision. I doubt it would even leave much of a scar. Please don't even consider not having the recommended biopsy and just because you are otherwise healthy and have no family history of breast cancer doesn't mean you couldn't possibly have it. Many biopsies are proven to be benign but you certainly need to know this ..... especially if you are considering having a baby. Kindest regards .....
I understand what you are thinking not to do it now, be young and health with no family history.... And be scary is normal special you never had surgery before. Although you did not mention what kind of "abnormal", lump? or calcifications? I agree with japdip, surgical biopsy is a very simple procedure and will recover soon after, although I don't know what will the scar (inside) cause or any affect.
For your own confidence, you can seek second option (radiology) then go to a breast specialist or breast surgeon consultation. I think the other option the Dr will offer to you will be watch for another 6 Mo, but without biopsy, even if there is no change after 6 Mo, you still need to watch another 6 Mo. Those wait and watch will last at least 2-3 years, if still no change, then your Dr may tell you that you are OK. Those wait and watch will not for everyone.
I don't know your mammogram score was, and if you did further test after "abnormal" mammogram finding like ultrasound or MRI or further mammogram. If you did so, you may know better to make decision if you will do it now or not. If you decide to do biopsy now, you may have a peace of mind because a lots biopsy did turned out benign. Again, only you do all homework and make informative decision, then what ever turn out, you will not regret your decision. Best wish!
Thank you blueskyabq for the information. I don't have a lump, they found calcifications. In fact I received the 2nd opinion and was told the same. I was told from both radiologists that I have an option to wait for another 6 months, but both said that they will probably not go away and I will end up getting a biopsy. In such case, they recommended to do now as if there is something wrong, it would be better to know sooner. The Dr did not tell me about other options such you mentioned ultrasound or MRI. I will research further. This was my first mammogram and I am getting the first surgery facing with a fear of breast cancer. .. Though it would be nothing for people who are fighting with cancer.
If it was calcification, same as my case (with score of 4). For my case, Dr told me that MRI will not help to distinguish if it is cancel related or not. I know some other ladies did MRI. If you post question anyone did MRI after mammogram finding of calcifications, they may respond you.
For me, I was very reluctant to do biopsy and when I seek the second opinion, the 2nd radiologist had different ideal, he did not think it was immediately needed and can be watched . When I talked to my physician, she think the first radiologist is more famous and can be trusted with his findings ( so did my surgeon). During my consultation with my surgeon, she told me what they concerned is not calcification but "what is underneath of the cluster or a group of calcifications", they concern about DCIS. The surgeon told me, you can wait for 6 mo, and then do mammogram, if no change (again, still don't know what is underneath of calcifications), then wait another 6 mo, then check, only until after 2-3 years with no changes, then you may be sure that is just calcifications but nothing else.
At the time, I believed that most likely, it will be end up benign, but I still decided to do it and find out for sure, at least I will have a peace of mind.
I had done that, surgical excision biopsy with wire localization. The surgery was smooth and I soon recovered, although I had to admitted that the wiring procedure for me was longer than normal (about 2 hours, with 2 wires) because the area of calcifications is too small, the radiologist was afraid that the surgeon may miss the area if had only one wire inserted.
You may search in this site for more information. I think quite some ladies post their experience of diagnosis and procedure, and the pathology reports as well, that may provide more information.
Good luck. And if you decide to do so now, hope you have a benign result!
Copyright 1994-2017MedHelp International.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.