Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Ultrasound

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Ultrasound

I just received my results from a diagnostic mammorgram and breast ultrasound.  My initial mammorgram showed calcifications and an 8mm focal asymmetry upper outer quadrant.  The new test results read:  breast tissue has a mildly dense parenchymal pattern.  The focal asymmetry in the right upper outer quadrant almost completely thins on additional imaging, likely representing superimposition of benign breast tissue.  Ultrasound findings:  ultrasound performed from 8-12 o'clock.  No suspicious cystic or solid mass is identified.  No sonographic abnormality is noted.  Is this good?  Also, why didn't the ultrasound pick up on the lump?  I can still feel it.  I was told because they have no prior mammograms to compare they want to wait six months to have another mammogram.  I'm uneasy about this.
Dear jakebritt, The reports of the tests (diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound) sound good, "focal asymmetry in the right upper outer quadrant almost completely thins on additional imaging, likely representing superimposition of benign breast tissue", and "no suspicious cystic or solid mass is identified".  
Ultrasound testing helps to distinguish between a solid and fluid filled structure.  Sometimes a lump that is felt is not apparant on an ultrasound - for example if the density of the lump is similar to the rest of the breast tissue it may not produce a difference apparant on the test.  
Test results need to be correlated with physical examination and interpreted in context.  If you continue to be concerned after discussion with your doctor (who can better put the results in context for you) another option would be to have a second opinion about this with a breast specialist.  
I am no Dr. but I would like to say "know your own body and keep a close eye on the lump"..watch for any growth and make sure you follow up in the 6 month time period.  Most of the Drs. these days are keeping a close eye on us.  If you feel uncomfortable with what your Dr. has said, either get a second opinion or suggest that you would like the lump removed.   I don't want to give you details and/or scare you but I did save my own life by being on top of things and watching my lump. Fact:  10% of mammograms do always show anything.  Good luck to you.  Carole01
Thank you for the reply.  It was helpful.  I have one last question:  My original mammorgram also said benign appearing punctate scattered bilateral breast calcifications are noted, but there is no mention of calcifications on the second report.  Does this mean they are gone?  Should I not worry about it?...Jakebritt