Breast Cancer Community
Breast Wire Insertion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Wire Insertion

If anyone has had this procedure I would appreciate any information you can give me.
I think I know what it means but am having trouble wrapping my head around wires insertion, discomfort  and how much discomfort. I will  take the bus home or taxi maybe depends on level of discomfort. I live in NYC:)
I just had a ductalgraph where they inserted a small wire in to the nipple looking for the duct that was having discharge.  They then injected a dye into the duct and took an xray.  It sounds worse than it actually is and I was fine after.  If this is the same proceedure then you should be ok.  I thought it would hurt a lot but I was fine.  Good luck!!  I hope this helps.
I tried to post this before but I think it went elsewhere:). Thank you so much for your help. I hope I have a similar experience.
Avatar n tn
I just had a fine wire localization in my lower left breast. They set you up in the mammogram machine only the tray has a "hole" in it where they can direct the needle. Actually, the needle did not hurt at all...As you probably know, the needle is hollow so that they can stick the "fine wire" thru it...the point being to get the wire bumped right up against the microcalcification (which cannot be seen to the eye).  It takes about 15 min.  Once you are done, the wire is hanging out until the excision but that didn't hurt at all either... I didn't really have a ton of discomfort after my excision either...I went back to work the next day...surprisingly, my breast didn't hurt at all...up until a week later as swelling goes down, I have better "localized" sensation where the excision was made and it is slightly tender..kind of like a bad bruise