Breast Cancer Community
Breast and armpit pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast and armpit pain

I posted a question but i have realised that i havent given enough information. I have pain in my right armpit which has spread across into the right breast and a little pain in the shoulder and arm. It just started when i was sitting chatting to my mother so i know its not a strain. I had a total hystorctomy when i was 32 (9 years ago) I did take HRT but i stopped it of my own accord. I have had the pain for three days now (it wakes me up at night too) I take some painkillers for this but it does not take the pain away completly. I wonder if this is anything to worry about and should i discuss this with my doctor ?
Tags: Pain
Hi.

This pain that you are experiencing can come from several structures or tissues in the area.  This can come from bones, ligaments, muscles, subcutaneous tissues, the breast tissues themselves and even the overlying skin.  Without a formal physical examination, it is indeed very hard to determine the exact nature of this pain.  The most common reason for this is still muscle or soft tissue stress even without an obvious traumatic or strenuous event.  Since there are a lot of possibilities, it is best to show this to your doctor.

Regards.
I am wondering if you resolved the armpit pain.  I too have the same issue and will be having an mammo and ultrasound in a week.  I am a nervous wreck.  On the cancer forums, the people who have the illness are the ones who answer the questions.  I am hoping someone had armpit pain that radiated to the breast, and did not have breast cancer.

Thanks.
Hi there
I was just wondering how you got on with your mammo/ultrasound? Are you still getting the pains? I had discomfort in my right armpit & had mammo & ultrasound which was clear (in February), but now have some discomfort (never bad enough to require pain killers) which sometimes causes discomfort in breatsbone area too. Keen to know how you got on. Thanks
The posts you responded to were in 2008 and the latest in Jan 2009. I don't believe either of these women have been on the Comm. since then so I doubt either wlll answer your question. I haven't seen either name here for months so I doubt that they still read the Forum.     Regards ....
My mammo and u/s and MRI of the breasts were clear.  The pain has subsided a great deal.  There sometimes is a twinge of pain but nothing like the pain I had in January.

How are you feeling?

My pain could have been caused by handsawing some plywood.  I had felt a snap of the breast muscle while sawing, but there wasn't any considerable pain until a few weeks later.

Life can get very difficult sometimes.