Breast Cancer Community
Breast bump under nipple

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast bump under nipple

I just noticed a very small (size of a rice grain) hard lump under the outer portion of my right areola. My doctor said it does not feel like the typical BC -feels more like a pencil lead shape. She did say for me to have it examined with mamo, etc. She did not know what it was. I had a history of fibroids, but this is not one. I am very nervous. What could it be? Also, I do not have insurance so what are my options? I am only 39, no history of BC in the family.
Since your doctor,upon close examination, is not sure about the lump,I hope you understand that it's really hard for us also to tell you, over the internet, what this little growth could be. It is important to remember though, that the vast majority of breast lumps are noncancerous (benign),but you definitely need to follow your doctor's recommendation and have a Mammogram or an Ultrasound to find out what it is.
If you don't have insurance, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, provides information on free or low-cost mammograms and other sources of financial assistance. Call toll-free, 800-IM-AWARE
Also try calling your local hospital. Ask to speak to a social worker. He/she will know about the availability of free or low-cost cancer screening in your community.
Whatever you do, please follow your doctor's recommendation to make sure that nothing is left to chance.
I wish you well and I hope that it's really nothing to worry about.
Thanks. I am supposed to have ins coverage on the 19th, so 1.5 weeks. I am going to try to wait until then. I can't stand this. I wish the health care system in the US was better. Any one who says it is the best, needs to talk to me!
I am so sorry that you are going through this, I know you doctor wasn't sure of what this may be, however I am glad she was honest to say so and to go get this checked properly which means a mammogram and preferably an ultrasound since you have had fibroids before.

Please try not to worry too much - as already mentioned, most of these lumps are benign and if you get insurance cover in a week or so, you will be able to have these done then.

You shouldn't notice any significant change during this time, try to put your mind on other things (easy to say I know - have been there myself) make your appointment and as always, if you notice any further changes or are in pain, don't wait for that insurance and follow the suggestions that Zouzi has so helpfully placed above.

All the very best to you
You are welcome,
I can comprehend your frustration... We all have problems with Insurance coverage no matter where we live,but consider yourself lucky that you only have to wait just a little while longer...In the meantime you could call your doctor to order a Mammogram or Ultrasound (Whatever he/she recommends) so that you can schedule an appointment at a Radiology Imaging Center around the time you expect to have Insurance coverage.Also remember to have these tests procedures done after your period is over to achieve better imaging,because it is common for breasts to be swollen and tender right before or during a menstrual cycle.
All the best...
Tell me about it.been tryin to get a bxfor months already.have had 3 mammos.goin on3 us. Docs cant get this straight.im gettn so fraustrated with these docs and healthcare protocals.i had a aspiration was suppose 2 get bx.didnt do it.healthcare missed up gettin billed for something did not do.and know seen 2 surgeons want to start all over.all i want is a bx.that was first ordered in august and hasnt been followed.backin june had my first us and mammo stupid radiologists called another told him I had cancer.other didnt agree he was suppose do bx.told me he thought it could wait 6 mos so i went to get second opionion.they totally messed up and did aspiration only left me black and blue for3 weeks.said they popped couldnt get bx.just seen 2 more surgeons want to do aspx again. Im confused now.healthcare *****.im pushn forbx only.because the first order was for.drs are gettn mad at me becauseim tellin wat to do since i have knowedge og healthcare.im suppose 2 get another us tomorrow see wat happens before this is followed.
What is really scaring me is the terms I read online that say "hard irregular shaped lump" what is irregular shaped? Mine is long (like a grain of rice) and lumpy feeling. But then I hear people say BC feels like a hard pea. Which is it? The one I have has not changed at all in the last week, which is good I guess. Every morning I feel for it, hoping it has miraculously gone away.