Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast cancer and adrenal node

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast cancer and adrenal node

I am a 65 year old woman with breast cancer that suddenly appeared in June and is about 3cm.  I had a CT scan which shows a node on one of my adrenal glands.  I also had a PET scan which showed no other cancer.  My question is would that adrenal node be a likely cause of this cancer if it is producing excessive hormones?  I have the right body shape for an out-of-control adrenal gland: Overweight with all the weight in the middle even though I never overeat and usually undereat.

Should I see an endocrenologist?  If so, would it be better to delay surgery until after I've seen an endocrenologist or doesn't it matter?
Dear Doll Swanson:  The question is whether the spot on the adrenal gland is suspicous for cancer.  If it is, then the next question is whether this is related to the breast cancer.  Adrenal glands are unlikely to cause cancer but it is not uncommon for some cancers to spread to the adrenal gland.  It may be that the adrenal gland will need to be biopsied.  You may be best served by discussing this situation with your oncologist.
Lymph gland or adrenal galnd?