Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast cancer and chemotherapy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast cancer and chemotherapy

I was diagnosed wiht stage one breast cancer in March.  It was invasive ductal carcinoma. The tumor size was .45 mm but poorly differentiated, grade 3.  I chose to have a bi-lateral mastectomy due to family history and the fact that I'm BRAC2 positive.  My oncologist sent for a Onca test to be performed in order to determine if I needed chemo or not.  The onca test came back but with no results because they said there wasn't enough cancer tissue to perform the test.  When I first met with oncologist I was told I probably wouldn't need chemo but now with no test results she is telling me I should have chemo.  What do you think?
Dear scouch01, Adjuvant therapy is treatment given after surgery to try to prevent or minimize the growth of microscopic deposits of tumor cells that might grow into a recurrent tumor. Adjuvant therapy may be hormone therapy, chemotherapy, or radiation therapy to the site
I forgot to include that I am ER+ (Percent Positive 100) and I thought I was PR neg but on my path report it says 36 percent positive (whatever that means) and also HER2 neg (Fish test).   My tumor was 4.5 mm not .45mm.  I was also node negative.  I had good margins.  My surgeon told my family after surgery that it was so small she had trouble finding the tumor with the naked eye.
A related discussion, Chemo reduce reoccurrance Stage 1 ER+/PR-/HER2- 1.4cm was started.