Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast cancer and hysterectomy
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Breast cancer and hysterectomy

I am 41 years old.  Both my mother and sister have had breast cancer.  My mother was 54 her first time, my sister 42.  I have fibrocystic breasts and recently had a cyst removed.  I also have several uterine fibroid tumors, one of them considered about 10 weeks.  Because both uterine fibroid tumors and some types of breast cancer (all my mother's tumors) are caused by estrogen, my Gyn and I are talking about a hysterectomy with ovaries removed.  This would take care of the uterine fibroids and the thought was that the decreased estrogen could possibly make my risk of breast cancer decreased.  My question is if having my ovaries removed would reduce my risk of breast cancer and by what percentage?  Also, what other problems would possibly be created by having a total hysterectomy at age 41 or 42?  I heard that there would be an increased risk for heart disease, is that true?  My Gyn said that he probably would not recommend HRT with my family history if I do get the hysterectomy.  Would this mean that I would age too quickly?  Thank you in advance for answering all these questions.