Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast discharge

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast discharge

I am a 46 yo African american female. I have had 2 incidences of breast discharge the first one approx 10 days ago .It was brownish in color and approx 6-7 nipple sized drops on my pajama top. The second time was 1 yellow brown npple size drops 3 days ago. I had a normal screening mammogram for in 4/07for 6 month history of breat discomfort .Breast self exam was normal as was the exam in the MD's office. I spoke with a surgeon on 6/22/07 who tried to express discharge. She stated that since she could not express dscharge that she could not perform a procedure and did not recommend any further imaging studies.  She suggested waiting 6 months and then rescheduling another mammogram. Would this be your approach? Should I seek a second opinion? I have never been pregnant and I am perimenopausal.I had a hysterectomy aprox 7 years ago for fibriods. I am not taking hormone replacement.
Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple.  The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white.  Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers.  These medications increase prolactin levels in the body.   There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between. The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it
I AM 26 AND HAVE ALOUT OF DISCHARGE COMING FROM MY RIGHT BREAST , I THINK I HAVE NOT DRIED UP AFTER HAVING MY SON WHOS 18 MONTHS IS THIS NORMAL WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Hi. I'm 16 years old and have noticed over the past few months a discharge from my breast. But it is very strange. It is not nipple discharge, it comes from my BREAST. It is on my right breast. There is a small hole, like a pin in size, and if i squeeze my breast a brown liquid would discharge from it. It never hurt before so i never worried. But only today i woke up and my right boob was extremely sore round the nipple rea, by the hole. I squeezed my breast and a fairish amount of yellow liquid came out. I have not noticed any lumps before but i'm really worried as what it might be. Please help because i do not want to go to the doctors till i have some idea what it is, although this sounds stupid.
The nurse only answers 2 questions a day. You have to try posting at different times of the day to get to ask one of the questions. Sorry, I don't know much about breast discharge. Can you speak to a school nurse about the discharge?