Breast Cancer Community
Breast injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast injury

On July 3rd I tripped and fell.  I fell on the cast iron piping for the water meter.  In some respects I am lucky.  When I fell I hit my size 44D Left Breast about center of the mass.  I could have hit my collar bone or shoulder and been in more dire straits but.....The pain was unlike ANYTHING I have ever felt before.  It felt like my whole breast was going to EXPLODE.  Once I could move and inspect the damage, I noticed some scratches but otherwise bruising started to form.  Almost my entire left side of the breast, from nipple towards the arm pit and from center top mass of the breast to the underside of the breast is bruised (yellow, green, black, blue and a deep purplish red color) and appears to have blood like pooling or mottling in the skin, particularly towards the nipple.  To say the least, discomfort has been an issue, however up until today, the 8th of July, I did not notice any lumps in the area.  Today a golfball (or larger) sized lump has appeared and is VERY tender and feels heavy within my breast.  I have not been to the doctor...I don't qualify for medicaid and I have no insurance since I lost my job.  Do you think I should cough up the money for the trip to the doctors along with any tests he might order for me or wait it out.  I never would have thought about having this situation happen to me before.  
1 Comment
Of course I will advise you to see a Dr. but if there was no problem before your fall I'm reasonably sure you are dealing with a hematoma (a pocket of blood within the tissue). This often occurs following surgery and they do take considerable time to be absorbed. Warm compresses are frequently recommended to help in this process. If things change drastically or seem to become worse then you should see someone who can do an exam. Often there are breast clinics held now and then or maybe you could see a Nurse Practitioner rather than a Dr. since money is an issue. Injury does NOT cause breast cancer .... I know this has been told over the years but it's a myth. Please be more careful ..... Regards ....