Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast itches inside

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast itches inside
Last night, I woke up with my left breast itching terribly, bad enough that it woke me up.  I'm 31, and I had a breast reduction about 9 years ago, so the underside of my breast is basically numb.  I was scratching furiously with no results, since that skin has no feeling.  The itching was definitely deep inside.  The only relief I had was by pushing and mashing on my breast, and even that wasn't very helpful.  After 25 minutes, it finally improved enough that I could go back to sleep.  What would cause this?  Should I be worried?
Dear ctdiver:  A one-time incident of itching in the absence of any redness, swelling or other abnormality may just be an "itch."  If this continues or if you notice other breast abnormalities, you should consider being checked out by your doctor.