Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast leakage

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast leakage
I'm 22, a smoker for 5 yrs. in O.K. health. I've noticed while doing routine breast exams on myself a clear and sticky discharge comes out of my nipple when squeezed. Only the right breast/nipple. I have no pain or other symptoms that I'm aware of. My left breast doen't leak. I did have a benign cyst during puberty in the same breast that leaked brownish fluid when squeezed, but that went away and I haven't had any leakage until now almost 10 yrs. later. I've asked my doctor and he said not to worry unless I have any other symptoms as well...like pain or lumps, etc. But I've noticed the amount of liquid has increased and I only have to put light pressure on my nipple and the liquid shoots out. Should I be concerned? What is egg white sticky liquid a sign of? Could it be cancer? It's been going on for about 4 months now.
Dear Aprilb, Nipple discharge is most often from benign (non-cancerous) conditions. Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers. These medications increase prolactin levels in the body. There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between.

The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it
A related discussion, breast leakage was started.
A related discussion, Breast Leakage was started.