Breast Cancer Community
Breast lumpectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast lumpectomy

I had a needle biopsy and the results were inconclusive.  At the advice of my doctor I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy.  Also during the surgery I had a mammosite catheter put in for radiation therapy.  The doctor sent the lump to the pathologist for examination and the results have not come back.  Do you have any idea what the percentage is for this being benign?

This discussion is related to CORE BIOPSY INCONCLUSSIVE.

No statistical that is available that could answer your question. What did your mammogram and ultrasound reports say?

What is your age and did you notice any abnormal features on breast self examination? Why was the needle biopsy done?

Let the labs reports come in and only then can a confirmed diagnosis be reached.

Do post us about your reports and if you have any other doubts.

Also post us about how you are doing.

Regards.

My mammogram came back showing that there had been a change.  I am 53 years old and prior to the mammogram I noticed a puckering of the skin where the lump was eventually found.  Is the puckering usually indicative of cancer?

You should ask the lab and your doctor for a copy of the report - mammogram and biopsy and post them to us here if possible.

Skin puckering in the breast region is seen due to shortening of the ligaments in the underlying breast tissue. This is usually associated with breast cancer changes, but that is not the rule.

Like i said in my previous post, you should wait for the biopsy reports to come in.

Let us know if you have any other doubts.

Regards.