Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast lumps that hurt

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast lumps that hurt
For the past few years, I have had many many small lumps in my breasts. THey are fine when left alone, but if I touch them, they are very tender and they hurt. I asked my gyn why this was, and she says its a normal thing. She also stated that it woud be abnormal if it didn't hurt. Is this true? Because i'm just a bit worried.

Dear confused11,   The most common symptom of breast cancer is a painless lump.  It is not unusual to have "lumpy" feeling breasts.  What we want to make sure of is that changes or something outside of your usual is followed up on.
Typically cancerous lumps are not painful, and ones that are painful are not cancer. Like most everything else in medicine, neither statement is 100% true. Any new lump needs evaluation, regardless of pain. But you describe lumps which are multiple, on both sides, painful, and which I gather have been that way for a long time. All of  those factors suggest they're not worrisome. But any change needs to be addressed.
A related discussion, Breast lumps soreness was started.
A related discussion, breast lumps was started.
A related discussion, Breast lump was started.
I am so glad to see a lot of your statments. I am 23 and just found 2 lumps in my right breast that have be painful. Today has be the worst pain but manageable. I am getting it checked out Monday, are there any suggestions of what I should really look out for in this situation?