Breast lumps with bruising
I am writing in regards to my 13 year old daughter.  For the past 6 months or so she has been noticing lumps in her breasts.  When the lump begins to form underneath the skin the breast area just above  may become red (about half dollar size) or you may start to notice a blueish colored bruise forming.  The lumps and bruising are noticed in both breasts.  The pain has been so severe that she has missed several days of school due to the inability to put a bra on.  She was also given vicodin for the pain, which did not help.  She has not had any trauma to them and does not participate in PE or sports at this time. We have been to Susan Komen Breast Center and had three sonograms done.  With results being hematomas of unknown origin. The physician from the breast center referred us to a breast surgeon again with no results.  We saw another surgeon in early April and she was leaning more towards abuse. This child does not leave the house so I could not see how she is being abused.  She has also been to St. Jude's Childrens hospital where the physician suspected a hematological problem.  The test results came back normal.   Now the physician is suggesting a vascular problem. Which is fine but I have no idea where to go from here?   Has anyone ever had a similar problem because I feel like I am getting the run around.
Hi there.

I understand your concern.  From what you have described, the conditions could really be multiple hematomas, spontaneously occurring in her breasts.  Hematomas are blood collections underneath the skin or within the breast parenchyma.  The question is what is causing this spontanous blood collections.  The move to rule out a primary hematologic disorder is rational since problems in the platelets or clotting factors can cause this.  Since this turned out normal, the next assumption of a vascular problem is valid though I'm not quite familiar if how they would go about it.  A possibility is performing an angiogram, whether through traditional invasive means or by Magnetic Resonance. Some children may develop this condition when she's about to have her first few cycles of menses and is steadily outgrown.  I suggest you discuss this in depth with the doctor and I hope everything will turn out well.  Regards and God bless...