Breast Cancer Community
Breast pain years after Biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast pain years after Biopsy

Five years ago I had a breast biopsy that came back fine! But, now five years later  at the age of 29 I am having sharp shooting pain, burning sinsation and a sticky off white discharge from the same breast that i had a biopsy done on. Should I see my Doctor for this?
Yes, do go and see your doctor and have it checked out. A discharge from the nipple is abnormal, unless you are lactating (breastfeeding) or squeezing the breast. My only symptom before being dx with bc at a normal 3 yrly mammo was a shooting pain down my arm. The 2 cm lump was not palpable, even by my GP, but was quite clearly seen on diagnostic x-ray and ultrasound. I wish I had gone to my dr earlier, but I did not connect the pain in my arm with spread of the tumour to the axilla (armpit). Hindsight is a great thing. Pain in the breast is not a frequent sign of cancer, but I would have it checked out just to be sure.
Take care,
Liz.
Sooo I went to the Doc. and I have a large mass she said what is made up of 2 cyst......So now I have to have a needle biopsy and Mammogram! And I am so scared my 18yr old nephew just passed away 5months ago from cancer and I was by his side everyday I know how cancer can be I have lost more than one family member from cancer and to think I could have it now!!!!!!!!
We I went today to have mamogram (mammogram) and she also did an ultrasound....I dont have 2 cyst I have 5.
Now I have to go back on Jan4th to have the needle biopsy on them! Is it normal to have 5 cyst on one breast???
What you describe is multiple cysts of the breasts. Only a biopsy can establish the exact nature of the cystic lesions. It is also necessary to do a biopsy to rule out malignancy or secondary infection. The cysts will be aspirated or fluid removed if the biopsy comes out ok and you have symptoms of pain etc.
Also ask your doctor whether the discharge you mention has been sent for lab examination or not. Get a copy of the mammogram and USG report and all the other investigations for your record. You mention family history of cancer - do you have a family history of ' breast cancer'?
Discuss all this with your doctor in detail and clear all the doubts that you have. Do keep us posted about the biopsy results.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
No...There is no History of Breast Cancer but my Grandmother Died from Ovarian cancer! My other family members had  Ostiogenic Sarcoma and Lung stuff like that. And Thank you so much for your help :)
No family history of cancer is a positive sign. Then it also reinforces that this could be a benign lesion. But it still needs to be investigated further to get a confirmed diagnosis and rule out malignancy.
Do keep us posted on what did your doctor advise and what do your reports say. Do keep a copy of all the reports too with yourself.
Carry on regular breast self exam till then and report any abnormal features that you might notice to your doctor.
Goodluck.