Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast rash

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast rash

I have had a breast lumpectomy in 1995.At the time I was 8 months pregnant and had to have a sonogram done to determine the size and shape of the lump. I also had a needle biopsy done. Less than 2 weeks after all results were in I had the lump removed.The doctor made sure he told me that it was beign. But I remember during the removal he kept apologizing for the scar he had to give me for the lump was deep into my breast tissue and muscle. Everything healed and for the most part all is well. Just recently I broke out in a very itchy rash under the left breat (same breast as lump removal).Could this be another sign of something to be worried about for instance breast cancer ? How often should I get a mamogram (mammogram) done I am only 29 yrs. old and very concerned.I am also big breasted does this have a play in the problems I have had and have now?
Mary Parker
Dear Mary, The first thing that comes to mind with the rash and you being big breasted is a possible yeast infection, rather than a symptom of breast cancer. If the rash doesn't clear up with keeping the area as dry as possible, you may want to check with your doctor.

You should be doing self-breast exam monthly, and have a clinical breast exam (exam by a health care professional) yearly.  A baseline screening mammogram is recommended between the ages of 35 and 40, and then a yearly afterward.  In our 20's, early 30's our breast tissue is generally less fatty and more dense which makes finding an abnormality on screening more difficult, so we hold off on screening mammograms till about age 35.  If you have any concerns with you breast exam, notice changes between annual check ups, check with your health care professional who can ask questions and evaluate as needed.
I like to say thank you for the info . I did call the Dr.yesertday and he wanted to see me.He said he was pretty sure that it was a yeast infection.But upon my physical he found a lump again in my left breast in the upper outer quadrant so i am going for an ultrasound and a mammo. Boy i hope it is nothing and i hope it has nothing to do with my rash.
Mary