Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast spots

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast spots
alo
I developed a few small light-brown spots on the sides of my breasts last year.  My gynecologist told me it looked like a fungus.  She told me to rub an anti-fungus cream on them and they would disappear.  I ignored it, but lately I've noticed more.  I have them under my breasts and on my chest.  I also have two on my neck.  They haven't changed in color, but if I scratch them, a layer of what looks like dead skin comes off, but the spot remains.

Could this be a fungus that spread because I neglected it or could it be something else?
Dear Alo, What you describe sounds more like a skin condition than a breast problem.  You may want to have a dermatologist (skin doctor) evaluate these "spots" for you.  A variety of skin conditions could be responsible for what you describe including a benign type of skin lesion called seborrheic keratoses.  Your physician should be able to help sort this out.
Most fungal skin infections are circular with a center that is more like normal skin. They aren't usually brown. It might be that a dermatologist would be needed to tell what they are: it's not really possible to diagnose online. Without being able to see them, and not knowing your age, seborrheic keratosis is an off-hand guess.
alo
Thanks for your response.  I'm a 27 year old female.  The spots vary in sizes. They start off as light brown, then redden, then they become discolored.  The spots are wrinkly and have a layer of what looks like dried skin.  The spots are not raised, but flat.  They do not hurt, but it seems as if I'm getting more and more.  The newest ones are on the right side of my neck and on the top side of my right nipple.
It doesn't sound serious, but it's impossible to diagnose without a look. Another possibility is tinea versicolor, although that's usually pink. Copy and paste this link for info:

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/10039.html
alo
Thanks!  It did turn out to be versicolor.  I'm so relieved it's nothing serious and is completely treatable.
A related discussion, Discoloration of the skin was started.
A related discussion, red spot on my breast come an go was started.