Breast Cancer Community
Breast with patch of skin that resembles a bruise and itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I have had a patch of skin in a moon shape on my left breast  that starts at top and goes around the arrmpit side of my breast for about a month. It looks similar to a bruise and I think it has gotten a little larger, it is also itchy.  I have an appt tomorrow with obgyn but Im really nervous.  I know how quickly IBF can spread by reading about it. What else can I do in the meantime.  I dont want to wast anytime.  
1 Comment
This could be an allergic reaction and the pressure of your scratching might be causing the bruising of the skin.The allergen could perhaps be due to clothing,soap or some kind of cream/lotion you might be using.When something appears in our breasts,we women are usually alarmed, which in a way it's a good thing ,but you know, skin on the breast is like skin anywhere else on the body and is subject to many abnormalities.  
Inflammatory breast cancer is very rare and it usually presents as a red, hot swollen breast.But is could also present with itching that is unrelenting and unrelieved by oral drugs or topical agents, also the skin may present with pink,red,or dark-colored areas on the breast.The only way to make sure that this abnormality is not IBC,is to have a punch skin biopsy procedure.
It's a good thing that you are seeing your doctor tomorrow ( A dermatologist would be good too) to be certain that this rash does not represent something more concerning.
If it looks to be a common skin condition,like dermatitis,a cream may be prescribed that will relieve the itching and aid in healing.
I hope that there is really nothing to worry about.
Best wishes...