Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breastfeeding: painful lump with green discharge

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I have been breastfeeding for 3 weeks now and about 1 week ago, I developed a painful lump in my left breast which I assumed was a clogged milk duct.  The lump has gotten larger, more painful and developed a "whitehead" a couple of days ago.  It popped last night and a thick, green-tinged, discharge started flowing from it.  It also is tinged with blood.  It is still "leaking" today. The opening that the discharge is coming from is not on the nipple itself, but rather about a centimeter to the left of the nipple on the areola. Should I be concerned?
Dear ambeigh1:  The drainage you describe sounds more like an infection, although without evaluation we cannot be certain.  You should let your doctor know as he/she may want to see you for evaluation and make recommendations for treatment.