Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Brown spots on breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Brown spots on breast

I have had these small dark brown spots on my left breast...it is close to the nipple and one underneath. they are flat and dark brown.

What could this be a sign of?  I hope it's not breast cancer.

Thank You
Dear cally44:  Skin on the breast is like skin on any part of the body and is subject to a variety of skin problems.  These could be a simple as freckles or moles.  If you are concerned, you might have your doctor or a dermatologist take a look.
Hi there.  I obviously can't say for sure, but sounds like what I have had all of my life.  My areola (the brown around the nipple) is discolored.  It has darker brown spots and some lighter spots.  I have vitiligo.  An autoimmune disorder where my body doesn't make enough pigment in some areas. I was just lucky enough to only have it on my breasts.  If they are flat and discolored, that's what it sounds like.  But if they itch or start oozing or anything like that, I'd definately go see an ob/gyn.  Actually, I'd start there anyway just to be sure there's no concern.  GOOD LUCK and let us know how it turns out.
Hello

I have this brown spot on my left breast that itches like crazy.  Do you anyone else have heard of what this might or might not be.  It does not bleed or ooz out anything, just itch like crazy
After reading these comments, I think it is very common to have brown spots around areola and over chest areas.  I also have these.  They just look like freckles or moles occurs on your face.
Is what you have similar to a mole? I had a discolored area on my lower abdomen for at least a year. It didn't really look like a mole, more like a birthmark or a strangely pigmented area. II don't remember exactly when I first noticed it. It started itching and bocoming scaly about three months ago. I finally went to a dermatologist and he removed it and had it sent for a biopsy. I was shocked to discover it was malignant melanoma in situ. (Contained to the epidermis.) I have since had surgery to remove healthy tissue margins around and below the area. At this point I count myself very lucky that the melanoma had not yet grown deep enough into the area of my skin where blood vessels are. That's how melanoma spreads to vital organs like the lungs, liver, brain etc. Melanoma is highly curable if found early. If not and it spreads into the deeper tissue it's usually fatal. Melanoma is a nasty destructive cancer.I wondered what this spot was for about a year before I finally took it seriously. Please don't hesitate. It's probably nothing serious, but there's always a chance it something serious. I'm glad I finally did something because if I had waited I probably would have become another melanoma statistic.
Hey,
I think i have a similar issue, i haven't noticed brown spots or areas of skin on my breasts, yet mine are more skin coloured, small and scattered in a few areas around the nipple.
I am not sure whether to worry or not as i am only 16 and have only in the last year begun to develop breasts, but does anyone know if what i've noticed is normal? Or could there be further reasons behind it...

thankyou =]
I actually barely noticed these yellowish spots on my left breast. They don't hurt or itch, etc. But recently, around the area it's developed more into a bluish bruise color. I don't think they're hickies because I don't remember my partner doing anything that might have caused them in that area. Can they just be hickies or something else?
A related discussion, brown spots under breast was started.
A related discussion, Brown spots on right breast. Please help! was started.