Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Bruise on Breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Bruise on Breast

Yesterday while getting in the shower, I noticed a small bruise on my right breast the size of a nickel. I know I didn't do anything to cause the bruise. Is this typically a sign of IBC? There isn't any other symptoms, just the bruise.

Thanks for your help.
Dear mattnicsmom:  Bruising is not a sign of inflammatory breast cancer.  A bruise is caused by bleeding under the skin (usually from a broken blood vessel caused by some type of trauma).  Sometimes, something as simple as bumping into something will cause a bruise.  Inflammatory breast cancer presents as a red, hot to touch, swollen breast that looks "inflammed."
I have read a lot online about IBC and sometimes it does manifest itself as a bruise. According to the IBCHelp site the symtoms (symptoms) can be as follows:
* Pain in breast area. Often inflammatory breast cancer is mistaken as a breast infection and treated with antibiotics.
* Skin changes in breast area. You may find pink or reddened areas often with the texture and thickness of an orange. (peau d'orange)
* A bruse on the breast that doesn't go away
* Sudden swelling of the breast
* Itching of the breast
* Nipple retraction or discharge
* Swelling of the lymph nodes under the arm or neck.

I hope all is well and your bruise goes away.
I had a similar bruise on the breast for a couple of years which finally developed a tiny lump.  The breast specialist biopsied it and it was benign.  She said it was a small lump in the vein, but suggested the lump be removed.  That was about seven years ago and I've had no problems since, except that the 2"scar on both ends still remains red and sometimes sore.  I've been told nothing can be done about that.  See a specialist.
A related discussion, Bruise on Breast was started.