Bumpy areola - breast cancer ?
Hi, I'm concerned about my breasts - my the area around my nipples is covered in tiny bumps, usually slightly more pail than my skin color. The areola seem a little bit more stiff and hard then. This doesn't happen all the time, sometimes my areola are smooth and "loose". Is this normal, or should I visit a doctor? I can add that I'm a teenager and that this isn't a new thing - I've observed it practically from the moment my breasts started to develop. I know this might sound as if I were some kind of a hypochondriac but I'm really freaking out because my family has a history of breast cancer. Please help!
Hi there,
These little bumps are called Montgomery glands which appear on the areolas or nipples and have nothing to do with breast cancer.These glands are sebaceous glands which produce an oily fluid secreted in small amount to keep the the nipples and areolas lubricated.Some women have a few of these glands,while others can have as many as 20 or more.
Please do not make the mistake thinking that these bumps are pustules or pimples and attempt to squeeze them.This is definitely not something that should be done, because it could lead to infection.
Because you have a family history of BC and you seem to be worried about it,it would be a good idea to have your doctor examine you so that he/she can reassure you that nothing is wrong with your breasts health.
Take care....