Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Bumpy nipples?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Bumpy nipples?

Just recently, my right breast has been sore, and there's been tiny bumps on the surface of the areola. I'm seventeen and have D cups. They're sort of saggy and I'm wondering if this is anything at all to be concerned about.
Dear marialuisa55:  The nipples and the areola (dark skin around the nipples) are not generally smooth.  It is normal to have small (pimple sized) bumps.  There are montgomery's glands and sebacceous glands that are a normal part of breast anatomy.  Breast pain is a very common symptom and is often cyclical (meaning it is present during certain times in the menstrual cycle).  Most breast cancer is not painful.   Saggy breasts have to do with size.  Since breast tissue is mostly fat, the larger the breast, the more likely they are to sag.  Sagginess usually worsens with age as we loose elasticity.  If you are concerned, you should check with your doctor.