Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Burning Breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Burning Breast
I have been experiencing some burning sensation in my left breast.  Dependending on my movement or the pressure on my breast the burning sensation goes from the bottom left side to my nipple.  I've been to the doctor and since I'm under 40 he will not send me for a mamogram and there is no lumps so an Ultra Sound is also out.  He told me to take 4-5 tylanols a day for the pain and go back and see him in a month.  The pain is getting worse and I'm having problems sleeping since everytime I switch sides the burning starts.  Should I be worried about this and seek a second opinion?
Dear jlavoie,   Breast pain is a common breast symptom.  The reason for breast pain is not clearly understood, and is not usually associated with breast cancer.  Breast pain is sometimes associated with hormonal variations and is then called cyclical breast pain.  Noncyclical breast pain does not seem to be linked to hormonal variations and is often localized to one area of the breast tissue.  Noncyclical breast pain may or may not be the result of an injury to the breast.

Breast pain is evaluated based on the history of the pain you would give to the health care professional, as well as a physical examination.  The need for further testing would be determined based on the above findings, and put in context of the individual.  If you are concerned and the pain persists seeking a second opinion is always an option.  
I speak from first hand experience. My only symptom was a burning pain in my left breast. My primary care physician found the lump and told me it was probably a cyst. I had a mamogram and a sonogram. The biopsy showed a carcinoma. A mastectomy was performed and I finished chemo treatments 7 days ago. I feel like some members of the medical profession have a tendancy to minimize symptoms of breast cancer. As far as I am concerned after all I have been through, any symptom in the breast that I have means I have breast cancer until proven otherwise. I did have doctors that gave me good care, however I wouldn't hestitate to find a doctor that would perform the necessary tests to prove to me that either I do have breast cancer or I don't have breast cancer.  Am I the only one that is sick and tired of hearing - oh it is probably only a cyst. Give me a break!
Thank you for comment.  I think I will go get a second opinion.
I am 45 healthy and thin. I have mammogram and ultra sound check regularly every year. Two weeks ago, after I sat cross-legged for 30 min or more, I felt some strange feeling on my left leg when I stood up. Then, few days ago, whenever I ran quickly to do something, I felt a burning sensation on my left breast and my nipple feels harden too. Any ideas--is it a sign of cyct ? Well, i will have a doctor's check up very soon.
A related discussion, Burning sensation in my breast was started.
A related discussion, pain in left breast - disc related? was started.
A related discussion, breast burning was started.