Breast Cancer Community
Burning Pain in lump in Left Breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Burning Pain in lump in Left Breast

I have had a horrible sudden burning pain once in awhile, especially in the night, that sometimes even wakes me up, in the very bottom part of my left breast. At first I thought it might be a pain in my intercostal (sp) muscles under my breast from using those muscles without stretching or something. But the pain has been happening more often lately and I finally felt around and found a small lump in my breast, that hurts to touch. It almost feels like mastitis, which I have had before from previous breastfeeding, but my daughter is now 15 months old, and I stopped breastfeeding her a year and 2 months ago. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what it might be. It is a shocking fast moving burning/stinging sensation that stops me in my tracks every time, and makes me afraid to move until it starts to go away. Right now its been constant for an hour at least, the burning pain, but not too bad. I'm very worried, and now have to work at the hospital for the next 3 days, and can't make it to my doctor to get it checked out. If anyone can tell me anything it would be much appreciated.
Thank you so much :)
Usually cancerous lumps are painless.However this is not 100% true. If you found a round lump which is tender,movable, the most likely explanation could be a cyst, which is a very common harmless fluid collection.Anytime we find a lump in the breast it is concerning and we should consult a physician for a clinical breast exam,the sooner the better.The lump whether painful or not, can be diagnosed by running some tests ordered by your doctor and if it looks suspicious to the radiologist, a biopsy is usually recommended .In any case, whereas it's most likely to be a simple harmless thing,(like a cyst,fibroadenoma or maybe an abscess) any persisting lump needs an evaluation.It's always advisable to seek medical attention to be on the safe side.
You could call your doctor for an appointment now,rather than waiting after three days working at the hospital.
Hoping that there is nothing serious and wishing you all the best.
Take care...
Thanks so much for the quick reply! I did receive it a few days ago, and have an appointment with my family doctor tomorrow morning. I hope things go okay.....
Good for you keirasmom2009830 ! That's the way to go.
I also hope that things will be just fine...
Good luck!