C-erb B2 - positive
Dear Doctor

My mother has been diagnoised with breast cancer and positive C-erb B2 - score 3. She is currently living in Cyprus and her consultant advised her a chemotherapy and a breast cancer drug called Herceptin. I understand C-erb B2 occurs due to high level of protein produced by the body which turns into cancer cells and causes breast cancer tumors. She has not been prescribed any sort of diet yet - is there any diet she should follow? E.g cut down protein products, red meat...etc.? We are not sure if there is any restrictions in her diet yet? Could you please advise?

Many thanks
Hi there.

Though the c-erbb2 is indeed a protein expressed on the surface of these breast cancer cells, cutting protein intake will not in any way affect this specific surface protein and moreover, cutting protein in the diet can lead to a negative nitrogen balance state (some form of malnutrition) which we do not want to have especially for someone who has to undergo chemotherapy.

At the present, the only diet recommended for breast cancer patient is to reduce fat intake.  Increased fat has been shown by some studies to somehow increase the risk of breast cancer recurrence.

Regards.