Breast Cancer Expert Forum
CA 27.29 blood test

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

CA 27.29 blood test

In May, it will be 5 years since my breast cancer diagnosis.  My tumor was 2.5cm, ductal,  6 nodes positive and hormone receptive.  I went through 6 months of chemo, radiation and I am now on Tamoxifen.  All my bone scans, MRI's, chest x-rays and mammograms have been normal.  I just had a routine blood test - CA 27.29. My level is elevated to 84, normal is 0-34.  My question is, can certain medications elevate my level?  I am on Zoloft, Corgard, Aciphex, tamoxifen and foricet.  This the first time I have had this test, so I don't know if this has been my level this whole time, or if my level would be high simply because I have had breast cancer.  My oncologist is gone until next week and I am trying to get as much info as possible.
Dear hollidol, CA27.29 is a nonspecific marker for breast cancer.  The use of CA27.29 to detect breast cancer recurrence at present is controversial. Increased levels could be due to a variety of reasons such as - ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, intestinal or colonic problems, hepatitis, tuberculosis, systemic lupus or medications such as Paxil.  Regarding your specific medications I do not have any information as to whether they would specifically cause an elevation.  

It is impossible to draw any conclusions based on the results of this one test.
I was diagnosed in February 1999 with breast cancer.  The ductile tumor was very small and estrogen sensitive.  I had lympth node mapping prior to the lumpectomy to locate the sentinel node. The sentinel node and two others were removed and tested negative. The lumpectomy specimen was not clean at the periphery so the lumpectomy was followed by a mastectomy.  My surgeon was not even going to send me to an oncologist but changed his mind at the last minute.  The oncologist put me on taxoxifen 20 mg a day and I've been on it since.  I just saw him in February, and two weeks after the visit, he called to say my CA 27-29 was elevated from the last time (last time was 33.8) and was 53.9.  Do not be alarmed says he.  Many times this means nothing. He wanted to retest and ordered a CAT scan of the chest and abdomen. I redid the blood test and it came back 62.  I don't know the results of the CAT SCAN yet.  However, the physician's assistant called the other day to give me the results of the retest and her version of this was that "frankly, it's not good news."  She also stated that one of the first CA 27-29's had when I first came to see this doctor was 19. I got the distinct feeling from her that I'm doomed.  Here's the question: What is the range for CA 27-29.  What could be causing it to rise.  Could it be the tamoxifin (tamoxifen)? And when does the red flag go up with regard to an increase in the reading.  Should someone have noticed that it went from 19 to 33 to 53?
I had a mastectomy  with chemo 1995-1996.  I went off tamoxifen 8-2001 and the 27-29 stated to rise.  It reached in the 60s>  I had all sorts of scan  and finally a PET scan  and it showed nothing. I was put on arimidex.  2002  the marker went from 65 - 57 - 74 - 75  and last week it was 100.  I just had a negative bone scan  and having a PET tomorrow.  I feel fine!  I sought a second opinion.  This oncologist who is well known in my area said he does not do  markers after 5 years  and goes entirely how the person feels.  He believes there is no difference in survival time from an early diagnosis to symptoms.  Many doctors do not do markers.  I will keep you posted  on the results of my PET.  I know the anxiety  you are going thru  and the living 3 months at a time.
Thanks for your info.  I saw my oncologist and he feels that the 27.29 test is a non-specific test.  Because all my other scans and x-rays are negitive, he feels that my health is fine.  He doesn't feel a PET scan is necessary.  I will repeat the blood test in 2 months.  He also said that the 27.29 test can be elevated for many reasons.  It could be from medication, an infection etc, so he re-assured me that one blood test doesn't mean a recurrence.  Holly
Coffee and caffeine can raise your CA 27-29 as well.
Where is the information that caffeine raises 27-29 level?  How much coffee will do this.  I have not heard from doc  and so assume  my pet and bone scan were ok. This is interesting  as I drink a lot of coffee usually prior to test.
I haven't heard of caffine causing a rise in CA27.29 either.  I don't drink a lot of coffee, but I do drink some.  I had a repeat of my blood test and it is down 2 points.  I am still having a repeat in two months.  I am going to relax  and not worry about this elevated test.  My doctors assures me that there are many reasons for this test to have elevated  levels.  As long as all my other tests are negative, I will be comfortable knowing that at this point, I am fine.
my saga goes on.  Bone scan was negative. Pet scan showed some small activity in sacral area but the cat done at the same time together  showed nothing. It was the new cat/pet scanner. So now I have to have an Mri to decide. He also wanted to change my med from arimidex to aromasin.  I feel fine.  Will keep in touch.
A related discussion, How effective is the CA 29.30 was started.
A related discussion, CA 27.29 was started.
A related discussion, Increase tumor marker was started.