Breast Cancer Expert Forum
COMPLEX TISSUE

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

COMPLEX TISSUE

I went today for a spot compression mammo after having an abnormal mammo a week ago. After having mammo today, I was sent for an ultrasound on my left breast. Radiologist says I have some complex tissue in one area. Follow-up in 6 months. Exactly what does the term complex mean?
Dear Chachismom:  Out of context, it is difficult to be certain. However, a common abnormality is a complex cyst.  A complex cyst has areas that are fluid filled and areas that appear solid – like little walls.  Follow up would be done to be certain that the solid areas do not grow.  You might ask your doctor to help clarify if this is the situation in your case.

I have a similar situation too.  I had a mammo a couple weeks ago.  Due to family history of breast cancer (my mother at age 38) I asked for an MRI to be done--just to be doing it.  Got it done on 6/19.  Got a call from my dr's nurse Tuesday with a report that the MRI found an 8mm size complex cyst (probably benign), but none-the-less a complex cyst.  

From everything I've read online it's a cyst that can't be classified as a simple cyst--which is completely fluid filled.  A complex cyst can have debris floating in it (could be cell lining or other stuff that's not harmful), it could have a wall or walls in it (what they call septations), and could have thickened walls, jagged edges, or possibly a solid mass mixed in with the fluid.  Either way, I think everything I've read states that it's a good idea to have the cyst drained and the fluid content examined.  Online I've read that 80% of complex cysts are nothing to worry about.  But there's the 20% that are...so there you go.  Also using ultrasound the dr's can tell if the aspiration completely drained the cyst or if there is still solid mass left after the fluid was drained.  I am going for an ultrasound on this small complex cyst tomorrow (Friday) to see exactly what it is and what makes it complex, etc.  I'm hoping to press to have it drained just for my own peace of mind.  They say MRI's are super sensitive and pick up false positive's and that's why MRI's can't be the sole Breast Cancer detector.  MRI's cause unneccessary biopsies and aspirations, etc.  But MRI's can also see things that mammograms can't & might can find a cancer spot early--so that's a positive in all this too--it can save a life if something is caught early on.  I'll know more after tomorrow and will try to report back what I found out about complex tissue/cysts.  Hang in there & try to think positive...if I learn of something new tomorrow, I'll post to this site.

Donna :-)