Breast Cancer Expert Forum
CT Scan Report - Atelectasis

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

CT Scan Report - Atelectasis

I completed treatment for Stage III breast cancer in June.  Treatment consisted of 4A/C followed by 4 Taxotere, mastectomy with tissue expander/implant and 28 rads.  I just got copies of the reports from my latest CT and bone scan which were just done since it had been a year since my last ones.  The CT report states
Dear ps131:  Given all that you have been through, it is quite possible that this finding could be related to treatment you have received.  Atelectasis is actually a small area of the lung that is not fully inflated.  This can occur due to pneumonia, after effects of surgery, and/or radiation.  On the other hand, it can also occur due to more serious problems.  It is probably appropriate to have a follow up scan or chest x-ray in some reasonably short interval to monitor this finding.  You should discuss the precise timing of this with your doctor.