Breast Cancer Community
Calcification found on Mammogram
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Calcification found on Mammogram

I have been reading all these other stories about calcification and I am confused and worried as well. My Mother had breast cancer so I faithfully have a mammogram every year. I had a tumor removed a few years ago that was benign. I just recently had a mammogram and they called me back for a second one on just my right breast. They said that there was findings. They then called me and said that they wanted me to see a surgeon. So I went in to see him and he told me that they saw calcification in my right breast and he did not feel anything doing a breast exam so he scheduled me for a breast MRI he told me that after that is done which is next week I will come back to him and we will figure out what needs to be done next. Does he know something that he is not telling me? The mammogram showed calcification so what is the MRI going to show? I am confused and worried!  
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
684030_tn?1415615923
That MRI will yield a different kind of image than that of the mammogram. My guess, based on my own experience, is that your surgeon just wants more visual information before deciding which way he thinks that your situation should be approached. If he's thinking of having those calcifications biopsied, their location may determine which type of biopsy is best. If they're to be surgically biopsied; probably, he'll be the one performing the procedure. If they're to be biopsied via the stereotatic (needle) method, then, arrangements will be made to have that performed... most likely at a radiological/ diagnostic facility. Or, he may give you the option of waiting (typically 6 months) then, send you to have another mammogram and/ or MRI to note any changes in the calcifications. I don't think that your doctor is withholding information; I think that he just wants to be sure before making his recommendations... best wishes!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank