Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Calcification

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Calcification
I had a mammo last week and received a call today telling me I have calcification in the left breast. I go back wed for more films.
Can anyone tell me anything about breast calcification? I did read it could be benign or malignant.
Dear rlms:  The development of calcifications (calcifications themselves are benign) in breast tissue is normal.  Some concern develops when calcifications are "clustered."  Sometimes these calcifications cluster around areas of concern.  The mammogram may help to visualize the area to make sure there is no mass hiding under the calcifications.
Thank you for the information.
In my case, my mammogram showed clusters of the calcifications, which I was told could be benchmarks of cancer. I was immediately given an ultrasound and had a needle core biopsy. The next evening the doctor called me at home and told me I had ductal carcinoma in situ.
llr
I've just been told that I have to have a biopsy because of calcification in both breast, I have not spoken to my doctor yet because of the holiday weekend.  I was told that ultrasounds do not detect calcifications, is this true and what should I expect.
First I had a mammogram, then an ultrasound, then a aspiration, the a biopsy. The radiologist was unable to catch the lump in my breast to do a proper biopsy. So then I was sent to a surgeon, who aspirated two large cysts in my breast. Lot's of fluid samples; some being bloody, some being greenie. It's been a week and a half and I haven't heard any results. Would they call me if the news was bad by now?
And is the colour of the fluid they aspirated any indication of if it is cancer?
has anyone had any similar experiences or answers?
A related discussion, GROUPED AMORPHOUS CALCIFICATIONS was started.