Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Calcifications Birad 4

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Calcifications Birad 4
Hi! My question is I am having a biopsy for calcifications a category 4 on the Birad score. My radiologist is recomending that the calcs be removed also. Is it possible that it can be cancerous and should I worry. I have the films and was looking at them and did see more than I thought I had. Thanks
Dear linna129:  It is normal for calcifications to develop in the breast tissue. The pattern of their growth will increase or decrease the level of concern. The concern comes when calcifications are clustered. Clusters often form around areas of abnormal tissue growth. This could be many things but generally requires further investigation. A BIRAD category 4 on mammogram is defined as: Suspicious abnormality. Most category 4 abnormalities are benign but a biopsy may be the only way to identify the 25-50% of these cases that may turn out to be malignant. The BIRAD reading is determined by the radiologist's level of suspicion.
Most calcifications, even those considered of some concern, turn out to be ok. Category 4 means there's a possibility it's cancer, but would still be in that category where around 90% of the time it's not. Biopsy is the only way to be sure.
I had a cluster of calcifications with a BIRAD 4 and the radiologist did a FNA.  A few days later I was told that it was benign.  The surgeon does want to do another mammo in four months.  The BIRAD 4 really scared me but the odds really are in your favor.
A related discussion, birads4 was started.