Breast Cancer Community
Calcifications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Calcifications

I had a stereotactic core biopsy yesterday and they took two rounds of tissue samples, but said they could not get the area where my cluster of microcalcifications under my nipple because they kept moving.  Anyhow, they said it may be skin calcification, which does move but surgery may be needed to investigate further.  Have you heard of this before?

Thanks,

CC
And they were clusters?
Yes, a cluster... very frustrating.  The Dr. called and said they were sorry and they could do another biopsy for free or just see me in 6 months for another mammo.  I'm getting a second opinion...

CC
Excellent choice .... that second opinion. Gather all the films, reports; including the procedure report from the biopsy attempt to take with you when you get your appointment.  Good Luck ....
Yes, I have to agree with another opinion, this sounds strange. Keep us posted.
I also had a mammogram with a cluster of calcifications in Jul 08 in Misawa Japan. I had a stereotactic biopsy done at the end of Aug 08 in Atlanta GA (the Hospital in Misawa did not have capability to do a stereotactic biopsy). Atlanta were not able to get ANY calcifications in the 12 samples they vacuumed out. I might add that they were not able to numb me and the girl blamed the novocaine for "washing" the calcifications out. My final report from Atlanta claimed there were no microcalcifications. The Radiologist at Misawa did another mammogram to find the marker left after the biopsy and was pretty upset to learn that Atlanta were not in the right place to biopsy the cluster. My doctor at Misawa has now referred me to a doctor in Hawaii of which I am still waiting for the appt for yet another stereotactic biopsy. I should hear back next week.
Definitely get a second opinion!
Thank you all for your advice!  Misawa47, I can't believe you had a biopsy with no novocaine... that is terrible! Hospital incompetence!  I'll be thinking of you.   My experience wasn't that bad with the biopsy... I was totally numb and brought my IPOD. I did specifically tell them that I had a bad reaction to Epinepherine in Novocaine at the dentist once and they said, they wouldn't use the Lidocaine with Epinepherin.  I did get the surgical report and it stated that they used the Lidocaine with Epinepherin!  The Radiologist Dr. said what was written in my report "is protocol" for the transcriptionists and they probably didn't change it in the report...  I need to find out for sure.  I have another question though... I am only 42 and this was my first Diagnostic mammo at the hospital, could it be that I had the calcifications all the time, but it doesn't show on the regular mammo?  My husband is saying the whole calcification thing they are overreacting  and I shouldn't get a second opinion... he  wants for me to wait and have another mammo in 6 months.
Your first mammogram is used as a bse line, or a place to start and then when they have subsequent mammograms and see changes that they think are of a suspicious nature they will want ultrasound and posibly a biopsy.  I myself had felt tiny salt like things in my nipple years ago, I never had it checked because they disappeared, so maybe thats what it was.  I think its will be ok to recheck it in 6 months.
I just post ( to Kateful) my experience of  biopsy because a tiny cluster of  calcifications, by surgical excision not stereotactic core biopsy.  Because I was told my case can only use surgical biopsy.

Also, the day of my surgery, I had to have wire localization done before surgery.  The radiologist told me, that she could not use too much for numb, because that will cover up the calcifications so the wire will not be able to pin point the right position of calsifications.  How come your Dr was not aware of this and chose then right amount of novocaine to not to affect the calcifications?

BTW, I believed my radiologist use other type for anesthesia. Any one know?
Radiology does the stereotactic/core biopsy's - as outpatient, not the surgeon.  If I need a surgery, then you get sedated and the Dr. does it.  My second opinion is on Friday, 10/10, so we'll go from there.  Thanks for everyone's help!!
I wrote Novacaine... da, not novocaine... Lidocaine!  
Clareface:)
Ok, Lindocaina, then is the same type my radiologist used before wire localization.

My surgical biopsy was done by a surgeon, and in a day surgery (outpatient center), but general anesthesia was used.

The best wish, take care.
I have not heard any thing about calcifications moving around, but that does not mean it does not happen.  I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and saying a prayer that everything will be ok.  I just went through a surgical biopsy for some microcalcification clusters and everything turned out ok.  The results were benign.  Keep us posted on your second opinion.    :)

IdahoGal
Thank you for sharing your experience and your thoughts!! You must be from Idaho!! We were up in Sun Valley, ID a couple years ago on vacation... what a beautiful place!  My second opinion is on Friday.  My first Dr. said to just wait 6 months for another mammo since my biopsy failed.... we'll see!

Clareface
yeah, I am from Idaho... Sun Valley is one place I have not been to YET!!  Will get there though....  

I honestly feel that calcifications are a symptom fo SOMETHING, if you don't feel comfortable on waiting 6 months please let your second Dr know.  This is your life and you are the only one that can take action.  Good luck....  :)

IdahoGal
I had my second opinion, an awesome Dr., who spent almost 1-1/2 hours with us!  He was very thorough and said either I could have another biopsy in two months or wait four months for another mammo.  He said the mammo will show us if there is any change.. if no change, then another mammo in 6 months.  If there is a change (thinking it could be the beginning of cancer in the breast duct), then they will do a biopsy or whatever it takes to get it out.  He noted that the mammograms that I have had over the past three years are different types... two regular and one new Digital technology.  Noting that the Digital technology picks up everything now, so we don't know how long I have had this microcalification cluster (which is a group of 4, not 12 or 50).  He did say my calcifications are not in the skin, bummer... (which we hoped it was, because that means it is definitely benign.) I decided to go the conservative route and wait 4 months for another mammo.  The Dr. was excellent and I'm definitely switching over to him.

Thanks for all you help and concern!

Blessings!

Clareface
I am so glad that you are happy with the second Dr.  Sometimes that is what we need...  I as well had the microcalcifications (which was not very many either) so you do have a good chance the everything will turn out benign.  Good choice on waiting for the 4 months and re-evaluating then. My BS told me the same thing about our new technology on mammograms and how they can see EVERYTHING!  Not sure if that is good or bad!  Now... take a deep breath and enjoy the winter and do some fun things!  

IdahoGal
I agreed what you think.

With the new technology on mammograms (You mean the digital mammogram) has been used now,  although radiologists may say it should be the same, but you are right, now they can see more, if not EVERYTHING, like calcifications.  I total agreed with what you said, "Not sure if that is good or bad!"  Because with more findings of calcifications, but DON'T KNOW what is underneath of calcifications, or if it will be come out benign or not, it means more recommendations for biopsy, resulting in two situations - early findings of cancel to safe life; more unnecessary biopsy with unnecessary anxiety.

Only we can wish is that the develops on science and medicine will solve this conflict down the road - find calcification with the clear conclusions if those are cancer related or not. Hope it will be sooner.