Breast Cancer Community
Calcified Lymph Node
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Calcified Lymph Node

I am a breast cancer patient.  It has been 7 yrs.  I had an MRI and a calcified lymph node showed up, left axillary.  My cancer was rt breast, hormone receptor, sentinal node clear.  Treated with lumpectomy, chemo and radiation.  Does this node mean cancer again?
3 Comments
Blank
587083_tn?1327123862
Hi,
Not necessarily.Calcified lymph nodes are generally not a cause for concern.They are typically the result of several conditions such as healed inflammation and infections.In most cases it doesn't mean any pathological condition if that is the only MRI results.You don't say if your doctor has suggested further investigation,but in order to resolve a calcified lymph node,especially because of your past history,a biopsy could be recommended, (just to make sure) to determine what actually caused the lymph node to calcify.
P.S Congratulations on being 7 years NED! ( No evidence of disease) that's an important milestone and I wish you continued NED reports!
Blank
I am scheduled for a mammo, ultrasound and a core biopsy.  That is why I was concerned.
Blank
587083_tn?1327123862
Hi again,
I can surely understand your concern! But you see,when we have a personal history of breast cancer, we,including our doctors, have to be extra vigilant. When an abnormality is detected on the MRI test,it's standard procedure to do more investigation.This is good medical practice to make sure we don't have a recurrence or that a new cancer has developed.
Wishing you all the best and hoping that all will turn out just fine for you.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank