Breast Cancer Community
Calcium Deposits

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Calcium Deposits

My Mammo showed calcium Deposits in my left Breast and the Dr wants me to have a Biopsy to make sure I am OK.
Why do women developed calcium Deposits and is this common as we age?  I have no history of Breast cancer in my family.  I am a little worry.
I have calcifications in my right breast. And, they've been biopsied twice (both surgically and stereotactic needle probe) within the last 4 years. I was never told why some women develop these growths... only that it was not a rare occurance; but, an abnormality all the same. According to my surgeon, these calcifications are rarely, if ever cancerous. It is, rather, the breast tissue surrounding the calcifications that is of concern. In my case, I have extensive family history of Cancer, including Breast and Ovarian Cancer. Plus, I was 49 when the first calcifications appeared... 15 years younger than what would have ordinarily been expected, according to my surgeon. So, one never really knows about these calcifications until the biopsy is performed and the pathology tests are completed. Best wishes to you and good luck.
Calcifications do occur normally in breast tissue but they are scattered about and appear as tiny dots on the mammogram. When they are seen in clusters or grouped in certain patterns they are definitely cause for concern. The reason for this is: they indicate that the breast tissue is reacting to something abnomal within the breast; not always cancer of course but a biopsy is necessary to determine this with certainty. Hope this helps to clear up the calcification issue ... Regards ....
A related discussion, microcalcificatios was started.