Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Calcium deposits cause of atypical hyperplasia?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

My Mother has already has surgery to remove areas of atypical hyperplasia.  Now, after the latest mammogram, the doctor wants another needle biopsy.  He is concerned about areas of calcium deposits in the breast tissue and stated that this is what "caused" the previous hyperplasia.  Can you supply any info on the topic of how calcium deposits relate to atypical hyperplasia?

thank you
Dear Allison, What the doctor is most likely referring to are microcalcifications.  Microcalcifications are actually very fine specks of calcium that light up on a mammogram.  Sometimes they can be an indication of cancer or precancer.  These can be clustered together or scattered over a larger area. If they
I'm confused.  I am a military spouse first off, so I'm limited to being seen at the Military Hospital. It isn't in my budget to go to another doctor.  Here is my problem.

I'm a 43 year old female, with no family cancer history. I have very dense breast.  Since 1993 I have been getting Mammograms every 6mths. I have skipped some months. Anyway, I was told this by a past radiologist that read my films.  "You have small Calcium deposits, that do not increase nor decrease and are always in the same places." "The reason why you have to get this test every 6mths is because they are watching the outer edges of the deposits." This was 2 years ago I was told this.

Just recently my breast became very sore, and it was time for my Mammo.  I made an appointment. The nurse practitioner felt a lump different then the other ones.  My mammogram according to the radiologist said, "I have a few cyst or calcium deposits clumped together." He said. "some woman live with this all the time."  He ordered no other test, he wants to wait to get my other films to compare, but he said he didn't see anything to be worried about.  After reading this post, which seemed to fit me, what can I do?  What questions can I ask to get these military doctor