Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Can DCIS be/come Inflammatory Breast Cancer?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I'm quite probably over worrying! But anyway I was diagnosed with DCIS (comedo carcinoma)last October and had partial mastectomy followed by 6 weeks of radiotherapy (finished in February).

I've only recenlty been examinded by my surgeon for a cyst in the other breast which seems benign.

What I'm worried about is the breast where I had the lumpectomy which seems a bit enlarged, has always had extra fluid in it since the surgery and what seems a large area of fatty tissue -where apparently some infection settled after the surgery.

Anyway now it feels a lot warmer to touch than the other breast and I've constantly been on antibiotics for lumps under my armpits which seem to come and go - and are now back again. The fatty tissue area since the surgery (like thickening of the skin) has always seemed pretty dimpled.

I hate going back to the doctors - not that they are not nice - I just get to feeling like a hypochondriac! - and find it so hard to figure out what's worth worrying about or not!

Is is possible for DCIS to actually be or develop into inflammatory breast cancer?

Big thanks for any help
Miryyal

Dear Miryyal, DCIS is a precancer, the abnormal cells are within the duct, and have not invaded into surrounding tissue.  Inflammatory breast cancer is an invasive cancer that involves the lymphatic vessels of the skin, as well as the breast tissue.  It's called "inflammatory" because its first symptoms are usually a redness and warmth in the skin of the breast.  DCIS is not inflammatory breast cancer, DCIS can become invasive cancer if cancer cells invade the duct wall.  

If you are noticing changes and are concerned about your breast exam, it is best to let your doctors know and check things out with you.
Inflammatory cancer could theoretically begin as DCIS is some cases; however, having had the treatment you had, it's highly unlikely to have developed now, and this soon. What you describe could be a normal post-radiation finding; or it could be some lo-grade infection. The best advice would be to let your surgeon and/or radiotherapist doctors know what's going on.
Thank you so much for your support and info. I will let them know. Miryyal