Breast Cancer Community
Can They Be Wrong?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Can They Be Wrong?

I had a lump that showed up on my mammogram (1st one ever.  I am now 39 years old).  It was thought to be fibronoma.  I had a mammogram and ultrasound every six months for about 18 months to watch it.  There was no change.  However, I decided to have a biopsy in January 2008.  They were correct it was a fibronoma.  Well, two weeks later a painful lump appeared in my breast (February 2008).  I was given an ultrasound in the doctors office.  They thought that it was a cyst.  In July I had a mammogram and ultrasound.  I was told it was not a simple cyst and to have a biopsy.  Since the lump had doubled in size and was painful I decided to have it removed.  The surgeon had the pathologist to look at a sample under the microscope.  They thought that it would be fine.  Well, when the lab results came back they said that it was cancer.  I am scheduled to have a MRI on Tuesday.  Is it possible that the lab results are incorrect?  The surgeon said that my mammogram and ultrasound did not show any sign of cancer.  Do I need a second opinion?  Can they test the sample again?  Any information will be greatly appreciated.
In a day where people sue at the drop of a hat I would not think they would make such a error.....did you ask your doctor this question?  
I think the only definitive way to diagnosis cancer is from a pathology report, and that would be more "true" than either the mammogram screening or an ultrasound as they are looking at it on the cellular level.  I had the same reaction you did when I was diagnosed with DCIS last month.  I wanted to know if I could get a second opinion on the pathology report.  They said you certainly could as the slides are actually your personal property.  If you are worried enough I don't think a second opinion ever hurts.  
My doctor feels that the pathologist report is accurate.  It says that I have invasive ductal carcinoma.  It is a grade 3 and is approximately 3 cm.  I was just praying that maybe it could be wrong.
The only way you can be certain is to have the biopsy done all over again and have it sent to another lab.  I think denial about cancer is nothing new.  I am waiting for my biopsy report any day now and I understand what you are saying.  I think the sooner you start treatment the better though.  Its hard to get your mind around those words I am certain, but if you don't have any reason to believe they gave you the wrong diagnosis then acceptance is the best avenue. Good luck to you. I will say a prayer ....don't delay treatment and you will be in better shape.
Things don't seem to be in the proper order here ... you did state that you had the lump removed .. right? There would be no way to have the biopsy repeated if the lump has been removed. You don't mention anything about clear margins or having been referred to an Oncologist. The only way to obtain a second opinion at this point would be to have the specimen tested by a different Pathologist. You might speak to your Surgeon about this to put things in motion and have this done if you are doubting the diagnosis. I'm curious if you are scheduled for any further surgery and also some sampling of the lymph nodes. What you state isn't the way things are usually done .... there is a particular order in which testing and treatment are done as a rule.  Errors are made and if you believe one has been made in your case then by all means investigate. Regards .....
Yep your right she said she had it removed.
I was caught totally off guard by my diagnosis.  My surgeon felt that it was a cyst.  I was ok with the explaination that was given to me.  The lump did not show up on my mammograms or ultrasound that had been done a month prior.  It was only when I had my next mammogram and ultasound (6 months later) that the radiologist told me it wasn't a simple cyst but was not sure what it was and that I should have it tested.  Due to the lump increasing and the pain associated with it, I had already decided to have it (thought to be cyst) removed.  And now this.  The pathologist report says that I have invasive ductal carcinoma.  It is a grade 3 and is approximately 3 cm.  They are also doing more test and that information will follow in an addendum report.  I am to have a MRI on Tuesday.  They are saying that they can not trust my mammograms or ultasounds since they are not showing any signs of cancer.  After speaking with my doctor's office again.  I do feel that the report is more accurate than not.  I am not sure what the proper protocal is.  I would appreciate any knowledge that anyone can share.
I am really sorry to hear that.   I think you need to discuss allof this with an oncolgist for sure to find out all the treatment options.  No test is as certain as a biopsy.