Breast Cancer Community
Can a mammogram cause injury to the breast? a possible Hematobin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

In 2006, I got a mammogram and while it was being done, I tried to tell the woman in charge that she was hurting me and it was too tight.  I got a call to come back for more pictures because the ones they had did not turn out and they were blurry.  I never went back because she hurt me so bad, all I could do was try and forget it. I.   Now in 2008, they set me up for a mammogram and couldn't get me in until after the Holidays because it was late in the year. so I went in Jan of 2009,  I also got an ultrasound.  They said I had a Hematoma, and asked if there was recent injury to my breast.  I said not recently.  They found a lump, which in the biopsy it collapsed so it was a cyst, and my resul tcame back no cancer, however they said my cells look funny and now they want to do a surgical incision which I'm totally confused about.  Thinking back on the Hematoma, I wonder if the mammogram I got done in 2006 did that.  Do you think its possible??  I can only think of that time as any time I suffered trauma to the area.
I hate mammograms! Uggghhhh! I don't know if it could cause a hematoma or not but I remember one mammogram where she said hold your breath and I didn't need to because it took my breath away!

I will say this though. If they want you to have a biopsy because of cells that look funny, do it. People will argue that point for and against, but if I had a choice between an easy biopsy and full blown cancer treatment, I'd take the biopsy any day. If it turns out that the funny cells are an issue, you'll have caught it very very early.

Just my opinion. Best of luck!
I second Sue's answer!

Warmly,

Chris
Healingwell62
Breast Cancer 1 & 2 Community Leader
I suppose the mammogram might cause a hematoma but it should have been absorbed by now. I see no relation between that possibility and the lump that was found and biopsied. "Looking funny" is a pretty vague description but if I were you I wouldn't hesitate to have the surgical or excicional biopsy. If the cells looked other than normal they should be investigated further. It isn't a big deal ... outpatient procedure done under local and IV sedation type anesthesia. Probably take less than 30 min. (the procedure itself) and you can go home shortly afterward. Some areas can be better assessed when more tissue is removed than can be with a needle type biopsy.      Regards ...
Breast Theromography is Much Better and Safer than Mamogram (mammogram)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell all your women friends and ask them to demand it from their physicians, clinic and hospitals. I hated mamogram (mammogram) and to this day I am 47 have subjected myself twice to this painful unnecessary radiation and extreme pressure on breasts that definitely is harmful to soft breast tissue and muscletones that is so precious to women.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaS3VIyltJQ&feature=related

Frankly I feel mamogram (mammogram) machine is one of those medical machines's designed with sadistic intent and impulse and promoted by profit motivated health industry even though safer technology existed since 1970's. Why they cannot put curved cups between two thicK plates that they subject womens breasts to. Do they do that for prostrate cancer? I don't think so.

I got injured in my mamogram (mammogram) as i had a slight pain in my right shoulder (tendonitis), which got worse and became a frozen and locked shoulder and I am under physiotherapy...improved but still have locking and cannot raise my right arm more than 120 degree.

Do
Hi Notafraid,

I don't have breast tissue anymore, I lost one to cancer and the other one I had removed. So any tissue that may remain won't be seen on a mammogram. The cancer I had doesn't image on mammograms but was clearly visible with an MRI. Part of my cancer treatment was chemo and radiation so ........ lots more radiation from external beam than mammogram :)

I appreciate the thought of thermography though for women getting mammograms. Anything to take the pressure off the breasts!