Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Can tension-induced cell growth cause cancer?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I have been considering a system for breast enlargement developed by a plastic surgeon called Brava.  It uses negative pressure over time that stretches the cells, which respond by replicating until the resulting gap is filled.  The company
Dear cautious, You ask some good questions.  However, in a brief search of medical sources on Medline site, I could not find any data/information regarding "tension induced tissue growth".  Whether or not this type of procedure will be a problem, and that a higher incidence of breast cancer will be found in women using this procedure, may take years to see if there is such a trend.
You have done a lot of research. Given what you have discovered, it is well worth reconsidering having your breasts enlarged. Having had breast cancer, it's mighty difficult for me to imagine opting for breast size enhancement, so please forgive me.
Hi healthcareguerilla,

I am sorry you've had to experience breast cancer.  And I agree, a breast size increase is not worth any serious health risk (for me anyway).  However, I'm just trying to determine if my cautions are substantiated by any research or real-life data.  Cell replication is a normal bodily process.  Also the company claims that there has been no association between this mechanism and cancer - From the minimal amount of research I've done that appears to be true (?).  Perhaps not enough is known about cancer yet, but I'm trying to learn what I can about what is known....Thank you for your comment and your concern.