Breast Cancer Community
Can you dissapear this so called Montgomery's tubercles?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I've noticed that I've had them since I was 12 and it started out with one and then they just spread in both aureolas,I thought they would go away but they have stayed there for 9 more years and they don't seem to be going away any time soon;I feel really self-conscious about them,so  I was wondering if there was any chance they could be removed since this is such a sensitive area.Thank you very much.

This discussion is related to Montgomery's tubercles?.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Hi francesca303!

How are you? Don’t worry. There are plenty of people with the same problem you have.  The glands of Montgomery, or Montgomery's tubercles, are the tiny "bumps" that are scattered around the areola.  They are stimulated by our hormones and give the areola a bumpy appearance and feel.  They can vary greatly in number, averaging between 4 and 28 per areola. I don’t know of any procedure that removes them since they are pretty important structures in our breasts. It is believed that these sebaceous, or oil-producing glands, secrete a lubricating and protective substance, altering the skin's pH and discouraging bacterial growth (Williams 1992). This lubrication helps to keep the skin healthy and the areola elastic. Sometimes, the follicles are clogged with dead skin cells or bacteria trapping the oil, hence, what we know as pimples. It is advisable to resist the temptation to pick at them because the body naturally pushes the blockage out. During pregnancy these glands enlarge and they remain enlarged and lubricates the breast while breastfeeding.

I hope this helps. Take care and regards.
I understand that they cannot/should not be removed but what would help them decrease in size or help keep them unclogged so there isn't that white discharge like a pimple?  Is there some sort of supplement to add to my diet to decrease the need for them so they would get smaller?
I am very self conscious of them and they just are not attractive.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Rene'