Breast Cancer Community
Catagory 5 results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Catagory 5 results

I had a mammogram a couple of weeks ago, and they called me to come back in for another one and also ultrasounds.  I saw my PCP on Fri. I have a mass that is 3.4 cm in my right breast and in my left breast there is"a smaller approximate 1.5 cm ovoid hyperechoic space-occupying lesion and a left breast biopsy is also recommended."  For the right breast, an ultrasound-guided bilateral biopsy is recommended and stereotactic biopsy is additionally recommended.  I am in shock pretty much.  I have been doing research about all weekend and am really confused.  I am more into holistic-type care.  I have been led to believe by my chiropractor and others that any type of biopsy can pose a danger of spreading the cancer.  They equated it to poking a soft-boiled egg.  It leaks everywhere.  Even if they do an open  biopsy or lumpectomy, unless it is really "clean," there is a chance of fluid or tissue leaking and metastasizing.  If anyone has any thoughts, input experience with this, I would be really grateful to hear them.  I am really scared and confused
If your findings were rated a 5 then this is something that needs IMMEDIATE attention .... BIOPSY. When your films are deemed to be BIRADS Category 5 there is a strong indication that a malignancy may well be at issue. Biopsies DO NOT spread the cancer cells and are the only method by which to confirm or eliminate the diagnosis of malignancy. The type of biopsy is recommended on the depth, size or particular area to be sampled. Though Holistic Medicine is a wonderful thing for those who believe this way, all methods when approved by the Oncologist (in the case of a cancer diagnoses) can be incorporated into the best medical plan for the situation. I will tell you that unless you have been medically educated to a high degree the more research you do the more confused you will become. Your main source of information should be your prescribing Physician, Radiologist, Surgeon and Oncologist in that order. Although Chiropractic wouldn't be one's first thought for Cancer treatment there could well be some measure of support between the pt. and their Chiropractor during the postoperative treatment process. Our best wishes regarding the results of your upcoming biopsies and keep us posted with results and please return with any other questions or concerns you may have.   Regards ....
the chiro I go to is in business with his wife who does accupuncture, accupressure, reikki, etc., so I do believe they are rather well informed in re holistic issues.  They are not the only sources that told me about the "leaking egg" theory.  Just trying to muddle through this.  I know Category 5 is the worst.  Thanks.  I have to go to work and try not to have a nervous breakdown!!
I totally respect your belief in the Holistic approach and as I said before ... there is definitely a place for this along your journey. I also stand by my statement that a biopsy will NOT spread cancer cells. I would ask how else would you expect to receive a diagnosis of the findings? If you want to get down to the fine points then a Mammogram increases your risk of developing BC ... there are things we must accept for our own good. I hope you are aware that cancer cells spread throughout the body without intervention of any kind. You won't have a nrevous breakdown ... we here have all been where you are as have many thousands of women and we're here to tell about it .... Take care and attack the problem one step at a time.