Breast Cancer Community
Cause of burning sensation in breast?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Cause of burning sensation in breast?

In the 1st part of July I found a lump in my right breast.  Dr said he thought it was normal breast tissue, but sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound- results both normal.  Towards the end of July I started to have a slight burning sensation in my breast and then my nipple felt like it was leaking, although it wasn't.  That went on  for a couple days, then my nipple felt normal again, but the burning has never went away.  The sensation is intermittent, lasting only a second, but happening almost daily for the last 2 months.  My Dr doesn't know what is causing it, but is sending me for another mammogram in Dec.  Do you have any ideas?  I try to tell myself that with a clear mammogram and ultrasound I should feel pretty confident that it's not cancer, but since it isn't going away, it's hard not to worry.  Thanks
best test is now a MRI with contrast.
First of all ... breast cancer is rarely associated with pain of any kind. There could be several causes of the burning sensation you describe. It could be due to an irritated nerve, some type of infection, diabetes can cause a burning sensation in various parts of the body. If the mammogram and ultrasound were both negative I'm not sure an MRI would show much in this case. If there are any skin symptoms at all you might consult a dermatologist. Another possibility might be to consult a Neurologist. Just some thoughts ....  Regards ..
Sorry to "interupt" but if a person only has aching "pain" and burning around the nipple you would still suspect something else even if they had a previous MRI{breast} that showed a 1cm mass? Plus a nipple that is inverted? And it is so uncomfortable that person can't even wear a bra?

Bonnie