Breast Cancer Community
Cellulitis after lumpectomy & mammosite

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Cellulitis after lumpectomy & mammosite

I was operated on 1 month ago for cancer.  I had a lumpectomy and mammosite radiation.  During this time I was taking an antibiotic because of the cathater for the mammosite.  One week after getting off the antibiotic I developed Cellulitis in my incision.  The Dr. put me on Keflex which I have been taking for 4 days.  During this time I have continued with a fever (99-100).  This morning after the shower the incision was the size of a golf ball and just as hard and red.  It began to ooze a yellow/green pus and is still draining.  I have a call into the Dr. but they haven't returned my call, what should I do in the meantime? Is it ok to put gauze on it?
Avatar dr m tn
Hi.  It's all right to apply an antiseptic solution like povidone iodine (betadine) on the wound before putting clean gauze.  Consult with your doctor as soon as possible. A gram stain and culture of that discharge may need to be done to determine what micro-organism is responsible for the infection.
You need to see a doctor ASAP!