Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Change in Breast Size

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Change in Breast Size

I am 20 years old and over the last month I have noticed my right breast has become larger than my left one. I had a breast exam and the doctor found no lumps. I know that many women have one breast that is larger but I thought that occured usually happend during the first few years of development. Im worried because it is happening NOW and it happend so suddenly.  Idon't think it's cancer, but is there any other explination? The doctor said I probably have nothing to worry about but I still don't understand why this is happening now, and not when I first started going through puberty.
Dear againes97:  Breasts can change in size and shape to some degree throughout women's lives based on hormonal changes, weight gain and loss, pregnancy, etc.  It is unusual for any woman to have breasts that are exactly the same size and differences can range from very slight to dramatic (a cup size or more).  In the absence of any redness, hotness to touch, discharge, or lumps, cancer is unlikely.  If the growth continues (on only one side and with no other elements of change) or if any of the other symptoms become apparent, you may wish to reconsult your doctor.
I have had this symptom too.  (I also had discharge too though).
I felt this size difference could have related to an increase in activity (like gardening for example) because I am building up the muscle more on my dominant or preferred side.  I don't know if that is helpful at all.

J