Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Change in nipple discharge
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Change in nipple discharge

I am a 38-year old female with fibrocystic breasts.  Since my first child was born 5 years ago, I have had nipple discharge when my nipples are squeezed.  The discharge has always been milky-watery, like  1% milk.  Last month, around the middle of my cycle I noticed that the discharge coming out of one of the ducts on my left breast was pinkish-beige.  The same happened in the middle of this cycle.  At first the discharge was pinkish-beige.  Now it is yellowish-green.  So far the discharge only happens when the nipple is squeezed and there is only a drop or two.  I also noticed now that the colored discharge comes from two ducts on the left breast and from one duct on the right breast.

Four months ago I had my first mammogram and it was normal.

Many of the answers on your site indicate that nipple dischage is a cause for worry only if it is spontaneous.  My discharge is not spontaneous, but something has happened to cause a change in it.  I am not taking any medications currently, do you know what might be the cause of the change?  Is there a reason to worry?