Changes in my breast since last mammogram
I had my mammogram on Friday of last week. My doctor got the report and it said there was a change from last years mammogram. That found scattered fibroglandular densities. There was also an increased size of nodule in the left upper outer quadrant (possibly lymph node). Right breast was negetive. I need to have more xrays done and a possible ultrasound. My mother had breast cancer at 32 and I will be 45 this year. I just started bioidentical hormones about 2 months ago. Could this make a difference with my mammogram? Also, I felt a lump but I have had solid lumps before. Are these extra test precaution or should I be worried since there was an increase in size from last time.

Ms Myers

What you call "extra precautions" are fairly routine steps to take when there are changes from one mammogram to the next, esp. growth of a nodule of unknown type that is being followed.

There's no way to know for sure whether the changes are due to the bioidentical hormones you've been taking, but hormones of any type can certainly affect breast tissue.
By the way, I'm a bit surprised to hear that you are taking bioidentical hormones, esp. given your family hx of BC.

Dr. Susan Love, one of the country's leading experts on breast cancer, points out that women who have naturally high levels of hormones are at greater risk for breast cancer. You can't get any more "bioidentical" than your own hormones. Dr. Love points out that very little research has been done on such formulations, and there is no evidence that they are safer than other types of estrogen and progesterone.

In January of 2008 the FDA sent warnings to a number of large compounders of bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) products, expressing concern about these manufacturers' claims about the safety, effectiveness, and superiority of their products.

Please update us, by adding additional  comments to this same thread, to let us know how things turn out.

Best wishes in regard to your upcoming tests,
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us